The radical Mr. Rogers
I grew up watching Mr. Rogers’ and really enjoyed the overview of Mr. Rogers teachings in The Radical Theology of Mr. Rogers.
The final list of Mr. Rogers’ themes caught me offgaurd as they’re not so different than my personal values:
As far as I can tell, entirety of Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood can be summed up as:
- What matters is slowing down to make sure others win, too.
- It’s OK to talk about difficult things.
- Making sure every kid is cared for, safe, fed, loved should be our number one priority.
- Cultivate empathy.
- Be curious.
- We all have hard feelings sometimes.
- And most of all, love your neighbor as yourself.
“Curiosity is the key to all four steps in doing great work: it will choose the field for you, get you to the frontier, cause you to notice the gaps in it, and drive you to explore them. The whole process is a kind of dance with curiosity.”