New Manager Resources
In 2015, without any previous management expereince, I filled the role of Chief Design Officer at thoughtbot. Early on, I learned a lot of management lessons the hard way but quickly realized that there was a learning gap between the manager I was and the manager I wanted to be. I used these resources to understand how to be a better manager. When hearing someone is looking to get into management I typically offer up this list. Please note: this list hasn't been updated since about 2019.
- Making of a Manager by Julie Zhou
- Resilient Management by Lara Hogan
- Radical Candor
- Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders
- Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose
- Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
- How Will You Measure Your Life?
Articles, Blogs, and Networks
- Lara Hogan
- Jen Dary on GR 270
- Jen Dary on GR 342
- Radical Candor (No longer running but has nice backlog)
- Mia Blume
- Irene Au